University: University of California Los Angeles
City: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Continent: North America
Field of study: business administration
Study type: Other courses
Above all, I would like to give you a few tips that go into more detail, because many have already written about the general conditions. Visit existingcountries.com to get information about California State University Fullerton student review 2.
- The focal point of contact is the Dining Hall (in Rieber). you should therefore definitely (even if you have not booked any meals) go there in the evening to eat, especially at the beginning of the session. You will find connections and contacts with other international and regular students much faster.
- If you book meals, the option 15 meals/week is sufficient in any case, because you cannot use the complete version with 21 meals/week anyway due to lectures and trips. It is important to know: you don’t necessarily have to eat twice a day, the contingent of e.g. 15 really refers to a week (the new contingent always starts on a month), ie if you are traveling in Las Vegas for three days, for example, you can you eat three times on the other days. And: if you don’t book any meals at all, you can top up your Bruincard in the Rieber Hall at a machine and also eat out in the Dining Hall.
- If you follow the first advice, you will quickly find people who will be happy to go on a trip with you. And renting a car together and the four of you sharing a hotel room is x times cheaper than the excursions you can book with california tours, the company that always offers its tours in the Rieber Hall on weekdays. In particular, “city trips” to San Francisco, Las Vega or San Diego should be undertaken in a group of 4-6 with a rental car. Simply book hotels online in advance. A highly recommended Avis rental car station can also be found in Westwood, the village that borders the UCLA campus. Not far at all, just 20-25 minutes on foot (that’s not much! You’ll remember it…)
- Be sure to take advantage of the ingenious range of sports available on campus. You can rent your own locker at the Recreation Center for $10/quarter, and it’s open almost 24 hours a day. And it still has the advantage: the showers are sometimes better there than in the suites or in Rieber. More water pressure and the shower heads are higher…
- Oh yes, in the apartments some of our group were quite surprised when they came to their apartments (off campus) after sometimes 30 hours of travel and there were no bed linen, no pillows etc. So be sure to keep that in mind when booking “off campus” accommodation
- Take foot ointment with you… because you will be walking a lot of kilometers and at the beginning you are not really used to it. It can take 20 minutes from the dormitories to the lecture halls, to the supermarket and to the village anyway, where the buses to the beach leave. You should definitely take the opportunity if you just have a rental car to go shopping, drinks etc…
All in all, I can only agree with the other reports about my stay at UCLA: It was awesome! And I would do it again in a heartbeat, especially with the experience now;-)