According to Topschoolsintheusa, Littleton, Massachusetts is a small town located in Middlesex County. It has a population of about 9,000 people, with a median age of 44 years old. It is bordered by the towns of Harvard, Ayer, and Boxborough. Littleton is situated in the Nashoba Valley region of Massachusetts and is known for its rolling hills and woodlands. The climate in Littleton is typical for the area with hot summers and cold winters.
The history of Littleton dates back to 1686 when it was first settled by Europeans. Throughout its history, it has been home to many industries including agriculture, paper mills, and lumber mills. Today these industries have largely disappeared but have left behind some beautiful scenic sites such as the Bowers Brook Reservoir.
Politics in Littleton are dominated by the Democratic Party but there is also a strong presence from Republicans and Independents as well. The town’s economy is largely based on tourism with many visitors coming to see the historic sites or take advantage of the great outdoor activities such as hiking and fishing that are available here.
Littleton Public Schools serves students from kindergarten through grade twelve with two elementary schools, one middle school and one high school offering programs in academics, athletics, arts and technology. There are also several private schools located nearby for those who wish to pursue an alternative education path.
Some landmarks in Littleton include the historic Old Town Hall which was built in 1794; Shaker Hill which was once home to a Shaker village; The Nashoba Valley Ski Area which offers skiing during winter months; and Bowers Brook Reservoir which provides recreational opportunities year round such as fishing or canoeing on its lakeside trail system.
Population: 8,184. Estimated population in July 2020: 8,589 (+4.9% change)
Males: 3,925 (48.0%), Females: 4,259 (52.0%)
Median resident age: 37.9 years
Median household income: $71,384
Median house value: $243,400
Races in Littleton:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.9%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
- Hispanic (1.0%)
- Chinese (0.8%)
Ancestries: Irish (27.5%), English (22.1%), Italian (15.6%), French (8.5%), German (8.3%), Polish (7.6%).
Elevation: 229 feet
Littleton, Massachusetts is a small, rural town located in the north-central part of the state. With a population of approximately 9,000 people, Littleton is an ideal place for those who want to escape the hustle and bustle of the city and enjoy a slower pace of life. The town is known for its scenic views, with mountains rising in the distance and winding streams and rivers running through it.
Littleton’s living costs are quite reasonable compared to other towns in Massachusetts. The median home value in Littleton is around $301,000, which is lower than the median home value for Massachusetts as a whole ($449,500). Renting an apartment or house will cost slightly less than other towns in the area; a one bedroom apartment typically costs around $1,500 per month. Utilities are also relatively inexpensive; basic services such as water and electricity will cost about $150 per month on average.
The town’s unemployment rate is also lower than both Massachusetts’s state average (3.4%) and national average (3.6%). This low unemployment rate means that there are plenty of job opportunities available to those who live in Littleton or plan on moving there. Popular industries include healthcare, retail sales, education, and manufacturing. In addition to these jobs opportunities being available locally within Littleton itself, residents also have access to nearby cities such as Boston or Worcester that offer additional employment options.
For population 25 years and over in Littleton
- High school or higher: 92.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 48.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 17.6%
- Unemployed: 1.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Littleton town
- Never married: 19.5%
- Now married: 65.3%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 6.3%
- Divorced: 7.6%
5.1% Foreign born (2.2% Europe, 1.5% Asia, 1.1% North America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Littleton:
- DEACONESS – NASHOBA HOSPITAL (about 6 miles; AYER, MA)
- EMERSON HOSPITAL (about 12 miles; W CONCORD, MA)
- MARLBOROUGH HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; MARLBOROUGH, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Littleton:
- LAURENCE G HANSCOM FLD (about 17 miles; BEDFORD, MA; Abbreviation: BED)
- MANCHESTER (about 28 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; Abbreviation: MHT)
- WORCESTER REGIONAL (about 31 miles; WORCESTER, MA; Abbreviation: ORH)
Other public-use airports nearest to Littleton:
- MINUTE MAN AIR FIELD (about 7 miles; STOW, MA; Abbreviation: 6B6)
- SHIRLEY (about 10 miles; SHIRLEY, MA; Abbreviation: 9B4)
- MARLBORO (about 15 miles; MARLBORO, MA; Abbreviation: 9B1)
Amtrak station near Littleton:
- 20 miles: FRAMINGHAM (443 WAVERLY ST.). Services: public payphones, snack bar, paid short-term parking, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Littleton:
- BRANDEIS UNIVERSITY (about 8 miles; WALTHAM, MA; Full-time enrollment: 4,444)
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS-LOWELL (about 15 miles; LOWELL, MA; Full-time enrollment: 8,373)
- FRAMINGHAM STATE COLLEGE (about 17 miles; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Full-time enrollment: 4,185)
- MIDDLESEX COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 17 miles; BEDFORD, MA; Full-time enrollment: 4,501)
- FITCHBURG STATE COLLEGE (about 21 miles; FITCHBURG, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,660)
- WELLESLEY COLLEGE (about 23 miles; WELLESLEY, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,241)
- MASSACHUSETTS BAY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 23 miles; WELLESLEY HILLS, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,938)
Public high school in Littleton:
- LITTLETON HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 355; Location: 56 KING STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Littleton:
- ALPHA OMEGA (Students: 17; Location: 4 OMEGA WAY; Grades: 9 – 12; Boys only)
Public primary/middle schools in Littleton:
- SHAKER LANE ELEMENTARY (Students: 466; Location: 35 SHAKER LANE; Grades: PK – 02)
- RUSSELL ST ELEMENTARY (Students: 390; Location: RUSSELL STREET; Grades: 03 – 05)
- LITTLETON MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 353; Location: 55 RUSSELL STREET; Grades: 06 – 08)
Private primary/middle school in Littleton:
- OAK MEADOW MONTESSORI SCHOOL (Students: 213; Location: 2 OLD PICKARD LANE; Grades: PK – 8)
Library in Littleton:
- REUBEN HOAR LIBRARY (Operating income: $364,650; Location: 41 SHATTUCK ST.; 63,493 books; 2,594 audio materials; 2,171 video materials; 200 serial subscriptions)