Damascus, Maryland is a small town located in Montgomery County, Maryland. The population of Damascus is 11,298 people according to the 2010 census. It is a primarily residential area with some commercial and industrial businesses located near the city center. The geography of Damascus is mainly flat with some rolling hills in the northwest corner of town. The climate in Damascus is typical of the mid-Atlantic region with hot summers and cold winters. See topbbacolleges for information about Allegany County, Maryland.
The history of Damascus dates back to 1760 when it was first settled by German immigrants. It was incorporated as a town in 1819 and has remained largely unchanged since then.
Politically, Damascus is part of Montgomery County and thus follows state and county laws governing taxation, education, etc. Like most towns in Maryland, it has an elected mayor and council who are responsible for passing laws and ordinances that affect the town’s residents.
The economy in Damascus is primarily based on residential services such as home repair, landscaping, etc., although there are also some industrial businesses located near the city center.
There are several schools in Damascus including two public elementary schools (Damascus Elementary School and John T Howard Elementary School) one middle school (John T Howard Middle School), one high school (Damascus High School) as well as a number of private schools such as St Francis Academy and St Paul’s Lutheran School.
Some landmarks in Damascus include Black Rock Mill (the oldest building still standing), Clagett Farmhouse (built around 1790), St Paul’s Lutheran Church (built 1845), Old Fire House No 2 (built 1912) and many more historic buildings throughout downtown Damascus.
Males: 5,541 (48.5%), Females: 5,889 (51.5%)
Zip code: 20872
Median resident age: 33.8 years
Median household income: $71,447
Median house value: $182,600
Races in Damascus:
- White Non-Hispanic (87.1%)
- Black (4.6%)
- Hispanic (4.3%)
- Two or more races (2.0%)
- Other race (1.3%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
- Asian Indian (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (28.6%), Irish (18.5%), English (14.0%), United States (8.5%), Italian (7.3%), Polish (4.5%).
Elevation: 828 feet
Land area: 9.6 square miles
The population of Damascus, Maryland is approximately 10,800 people. The population is made up of a diverse range of ethnicities including White, African American, Asian, Hispanic and other minority groups. The median household income in the city is about $90,000 per year. This is higher than the national average and demonstrates that the city has a higher-than-average economic status. The median home value in Damascus is around $370,000 which is on par with other cities in Maryland.
The cost of living in Damascus is slightly higher than the national average due to its higher median income and home values. Grocery costs are slightly above average but not significantly so; other expenses such as transportation and utilities are also slightly above average. Housing prices are generally high due to the high median income level; however, rent prices tend to be lower than surrounding areas due to the large number of apartment complexes available in Damascus. Overall, living costs in Damascus are relatively moderate when compared to other cities in Maryland but can still be considered expensive when compared to some other cities throughout the country.
For population 25 years and over in Damascus
- High school or higher: 92.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 43.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 15.2%
- Unemployed: 1.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 35.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Damascus CDP
- Never married: 24.5%
- Now married: 60.8%
- Separated: 2.7%
- Widowed: 3.6%
- Divorced: 8.4%
5.2% Foreign born (2.1% Latin America, 1.7% Asia, 1.2% Europe).
Hospitals/medical centers near Damascus:
- MONTGOMERY GENERAL HOSPITAL INC (about 13 miles; OLNEY, MD)
- KESSLER ADVENTIST REHABILITATION (about 13 miles; ROCKVILLE, MD)
- POTOMAC RIDGE BEHAVIORAL HEALTH C (about 13 miles; ROCKVILLE, MD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Damascus:
- WASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL (about 29 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Abbreviation: IAD)
- RONALD REAGAN WASHINGTON NATIONAL (about 32 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Abbreviation: DCA)
- BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON INTL (about 38 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; Abbreviation: BWI)
Other public-use airports nearest to Damascus:
- DAVIS (about 6 miles; LAYTONSVILLE, MD; Abbreviation: W50)
- MONTGOMERY COUNTY AIRPARK (about 9 miles; GAITHERSBURG, MD; Abbreviation: GAI)
- FREDERICK MUNI (about 15 miles; FREDERICK, MD; Abbreviation: FDK)
Amtrak stations near Damascus:
- 14 miles: ROCKVILLE (HUNGERFORD DR. & PARK ST.). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, public payphones, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 18 miles: FREDERICK (GREYHOUND STA., 27 E. ALL SAINTS ST.) – Bus Station. Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service, intercity bus service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Damascus:
- MONTGOMERY COLLEGE (about 13 miles; ROCKVILLE, MD; Full-time enrollment: 11,829)
- FREDERICK COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 21 miles; FREDERICK, MD; Full-time enrollment: 2,407)
- HOWARD COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 23 miles; COLUMBIA, MD; Full-time enrollment: 3,036)
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY (about 25 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Full-time enrollment: 8,859)
- WESTERN MARYLAND COLLEGE (about 26 miles; WESTMINSTER, MD; Full-time enrollment: 2,245)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND-UNIVERSITY COLLEGE (about 26 miles; Adelphi, MD; Full-time enrollment: 8,434)
- UNIVERSITY OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (about 26 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Full-time enrollment: 3,223)
Public high school in Damascus:
- DAMASCUS HIGH (Students: 1,884; Location: 25921 RIDGE RD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Damascus:
- JOHN T. BAKER MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 744; Location: 25400 OAK DR; Grades: 06 – 08)
- CLEARSPRING ELEMENTARY (Students: 541; Location: 9930 MOYER RD; Grades: PK – 05)
- LOIS P. ROCKWELL ELEMENTARY (Students: 447; Location: 24555 CUTSAIL DR; Grades: PK – 05)
- DAMASCUS ELEMENTARY (Students: 343; Location: 10201 BETHESDA CHURCH RD; Grades: KG – 05)
Private primary/middle school in Damascus:
- MONTGOMERY METH CHILDRENS CTR (Students: 150; Location: 28325 KEMPTOWN RD; Grades: PK – KG)