Its video surveillance cameras?
Among the solutions to secure your home, let’s look at CCTV. Provide perimeter surveillance, via volumetric detectors is top level security! As long as your openings are secure, you can sleep soundly. Zoom cameras!
Written record by
Jean-François, Handyman & IT developer, Yvelines
Interested since childhood by manual labor and technology, always fascinated by the DIY and woodworking, I benefited from the purchase of an apartment for a field scale play. On the program, electricity, of course in compliance with standards, and some walls of displacement; but also the decoration with the help of Lady , custom furniture and tricks to optimize square meters while remaining original. With the arrival of little fellow, I started in the manufacture of small furniture for it!
Lack of space, I have not fixed workshop and some of the tools that I dream not yet joined my collection. Do not worry, I know a lot already and I have a technical profile that will allow me I hope to guide you in your choice!
The questions we ask …
What is a CCTV installation?
This is a network consisting of cameras strategically placed and connected to a recorder Central (home) or a display monitor to monitor crossing points and goods that have value or that require monitoring -ouvrants, garden, car etc.. an internet gateway through an internet box or a USB 3G allows remote consultation , by yourself or by a security company. Smile, you’re going to shoot!
What types of facilities prefer?
It all depends on your needs and level of supervision that you want.You can choose according to:
- A dummy facility designed to deter intrusion -you can also combine a real oversight and with real cameras;
- A vision to plant local with cameras that you return the image on your computer, your TV or any screen in your home;
- Mobile vision system with IP cameras that refer you real-time images captured on your smartphone or computer -Need a 3G internet connection. Top solution for monitoring property on vacation!
- Mobile and local vision system, custom made for better protection and to meet all requirements.
Although the cameras are independent installation, it is necessary to consider to help guide his choice. Of course, some cameras are fixed and other motorized.
Smart tips: make a plan of the area to monitor, estimate the required fields by visiting the places of future settlements, judge the usefulness or non-usefulness of motorized cameras, enjoy the outdoor exposure, project opportunities-If retenu-connections wired network and anticipate potential vandalism -protection cameras.
Before launching into the subject, you can explain the vocabulary?
As you have probably noticed, technical terms abound. Focus on features!
- Viewing angle: as with the eye, the viewing angle determines the field that will see -filmer-the camera.
- Objective: To determine the camera’s viewing angle. The larger it is, the greater the field of view is narrower and we see far; the smaller the more the field is wide. They have a size ranging from 2.5 mm to 100 mm.
- Focal length: roughly speaking, the focal length (in mm) is the distance between the home and the imaging plane. When increasing the focal length, the field of vision is reduced (25mm: wide angle 50mm: standard).
- Lens: converges or diverges light, defines the trajectory.
- Opening: also called diaphragm adjusts the luminous flux transmitted by the lens.
- Image sensor: allows the camera to capture the light signal. CCD sensors provide a better definition than CMOS.
- Chipset: manages data flow and transforms the light signal into separate and specific image.
- Compression: Compress the data in order to minimize them to generate storage space. These cuts have different formats, the best known are MJPEG, PEG4, H124, some cameras in moonlight. MJPEG is more suitable for cameras with motion sensors.
- Encoding: on the processing of video data format.
- Scan: respect the sharpness of the image.
- Brightness (Lux)minimum amount of light for the camera to shoot. The brightness is measured in Lux, from 0 to 50 000; 0 corresponding to complete darkness and 50,000 at maximum attainable brightness. The figure in the characteristics of a camera is the “from”.
- White balance system that corrects the color of the image.
- Protection: standard sealing of equipment. If you do need to remember one number, waterproof IP66 models.
- UPnP allows for the broadcast in real time to a TV or multimedia.
How to choose the focal length of my camera?
Depending on the layout of your camera, the choice of the focal length is crucial because it is this that determines the area covered. Hire the following features for Focal:
- 1 mm films to 6 meters apart a stage 14 meters wide;
- 8 mm films to 8 meters away from the scene 14 meters wide;
- 6 mm film 10 meters away from a stage 14 meters wide;
- 6 mm film at 18 meters distance a stage 14 meters wide;
- 12 mm film 24 meters away from a stage 10 meters wide.
Know that there are varying focal lengths, even better if one is not sure of the destination of the camera, if one is brought to change location or if one wants to change its surveillance zone.
You can expand and explain the different degrees of protection?
Found in electrical and electronic equipment intended for outside the IP code followed by two digits. The numbers declined behind the two letters represent a degree of protection against the elements to which the equipment is subjected. To read this degree, so just to interpret the two numbers:
The first :
- 0, no protection;
- 1, protection against solid bodies greater than 50 mm;
- 2, protection against solid bodies greater than 12.5 mm;
- 3, protection against solid bodies greater than 2.5 mm;
- 4, protection against solid bodies greater than 1 mm;
- 5, protection against dust;
- 6 protection against dust.
The second :
- 0, no protection;
- 1, protection against condensation;
- 2, protection against a fall in small quantities to drop to 15 ° from the vertical;
- 3, protection against rain up to 60 ° from the vertical;
- 4, protection against water spray from any direction;
- 5, protection against water jet;
- 6, projection-type protection against heavy sea;
- 7, protection against short-term immersion;
- 8, protection against permanent immersion.
It’ll just combine the two definitions to know the degree of protection for your camera-and any electrical equipment!
How do we connect the cameras?
Some cameras send images via a wired network while others are wireless .
The first are the most reliable but may require heavy installation work.
The latter have a range beyond which the signal weakens too to ensure its role. This range is suitable for an area without obstacle,it can be greatly reduced by the presence of walls, especially reinforced concrete or thicker old buildings.
Analog camera or IP camera?
The analog cameras are the oldest. They send the images as is the central and recorded. The IP cameras (Internet Protocol) filmed in adigital compressed that is sent over an Ethernet network – computer cable consists of four pairs of torsadées- son or WiFi to a central monitoring or recording . These images can also be viewed remotely if you have internet access.
The field cameras motorized may then be adjusted to envy and it is even possible to hear what is happening at home as long as they have a built-in microphone. There are cameras that directly provide the remote consulting. Rest assured, this kind of device is secured so as not to spy on you by yourself! Some cameras have ports to insert SD cards . Such a camera can thus record images of autonomously .
Note that a central recording analog has a limited number of camera ports and should therefore choose one that connects at least the number of cameras included in your analog setup. Think about it!
This limitation is less on a central IP registration since it can connect many IP cameras to the same network name.
What are the available resolutions?
The resolution is directly connected to the sharpness of the image .The higher the resolution, the higher the videos are easily exploitable because you see more details. The resolutions of analog cameras are420 lines to 1000 lines for high-definition cameras. As for digital cameras, they offer the following resolutions:
- VGA 640 x 480 px (pixels) ;
- SVGA : 800 x 600 px ;
- HD 720P : 1280 x 720px ;
- HD 1080P : 1600 x 1200px ;
- 3 megapixel HD 2048 x 1536px;
- HD 5 megapixel 2560 x 2048px.
To summarize, 5 megapixel HD offers great picture quality and VGA 640 x 480 pixels a pixel image (composed of small squares that alter the image quality thus identification). It is well to emphasize HD resolution to SD resolution (480i and 576i are part of these analog resolutions) because the first offer much better resolution as high-definition.
What to know about goals?
Camera lenses have a focal length of 2.5 mm to 100 mm. Over the lens size, the larger the field of view is narrow and you can see far. Conversely, a small goal, also called wide angle, allowing to benefit from a large image; the black point, do not you may see some details. The primes are less expensive but do not zoom in on items of interest, unlike variable focal .
How do we feed the cameras?
The cameras must always be connected to a source of electric current. There are cameras 12V, 24V or 220V sometimes. These must be in a sealed box in case of external use to avoid short circuits. This type of housing is also effective protection against vandalism. Note that some IP cameras support PoE , Power over Ethernet, which means that the RJ45 cable that carries data also transmits electricity for the camera, provided you have a router (part of a computer network) also supports PoE.
Did I shoot at night?
Some cameras are nyctalopic. Rest assured, nothing that offends the morals! They are designed to see in the dark. They pass innight mode when the light is too low. The images are black and white. The operating principle is very simple: the LEDs around the lens come to illuminate the scene. The distance at which these LED light varies from one model to another. Therefore, it should check that the distance night operation of the camera you covet is the distance from the camera to the scene to be filmed.
Can brutally shoot anything and anyone?
Any CCTV installation is the subject of a declaration to the CNIL in which we must justify the installation, technically describe and specify your registration. If this facility monitors a place designed to welcome the public , or filming a place public , even partially, the installation must also be a statement-which prefecture is valid for 5 years and is therefore to renew . This declaration must be accompanied, among others, a CERFA filled in properly, a camera site plan, signage on CCTV. Educate yourself well about the documents required before submitting your application, failing which you deny permission to set up video surveillance.
The image holding period varies from 7 to 30 days depending on the prefecture . It will then also learn the big day and do not shoot outside of your home!
I heard about spy cameras … 007 kind?
hat’s about it!
They can be integrated in a pen, a lighter, a clock, a watch, an alarm clock etc. Practical for extra supervision but nothing to do with the cameras described above.
While some models can be connected to a monitoring system, the majority of these cameras is autonomous and independent.
Can you summarize the criteria for choosing a CCTV camera?
IP Wired Cameras with PoE offer both a modern and flexible installation. Otherwise, the wireless cameras allow to enjoy the benefits of IP video surveillance without having to pull cables. Learn about optics, electronics and connectors you install cameras to ensure the quality of images and their future exploitation. Depending on your region and exposure of your cameras, remember to check for these temperature limits.
Comply with the legal provisions relating to video surveillance in order to avoid disappointment. If you are only interested in the deterrent aspect, you can acquire dummy cameras at low prices.